Tuesday, April 8, 2014

An open letter to mamas of littles

Oh sweet mama of littles, I see you in the grocery store, at the soccer field, in church.  You've disciplined your sweet one for what seems like the hundredth time today, and then look at me and apologize for however you think he may have disturbed me.


I must make sure you know something.  Your precious one has not bothered me at all.  If I'm looking, it's because I'm remembering being there.  In your spot.  Doing the same thing.  It's a sweet memory, but one of a time I'm happy not to relive.

Yet with that in mind, may I lean into you for a moment?  I know you only have a quick one.  You are doing a good job.  If you are loving your little one, disciplining him for misbehavior, kissing his face, and whispering "I love you" as much as you can, then you are doing well.

The hardest part --- the hardest part --- is to stay the course.  To stick with it.  To discipline and explain for the 15th time in 15 minutes why he may not behave that way.  
 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not. ~ Galatians 6:9 (KJV)
Can I tell you about a conversation in my house today?  Please know that my family is far from perfect.  Every person under this roof ---- ALL OF US ---- struggle with sin.  But a conversation that happened today gave me a glimpse of what we had been reaping.  The kids and I were talking about discipline and the importance of obeying the first time.  I asked if they thought that was a Biblical idea or just adults being bossy.

Before I could pause, both the 12 year old and the 10 year started spouting out names of people from Scripture whom God had clearly told to obey the first time and who had felt the consequences of disobedience.  The reason for our consistent expectation of them to obey had become to them without my even realizing it.  And now disrespect and disobedience is something that we rarely have to deal with. (From the older two - the 7 year old is still working on it)

Why do I share this with you, sweet mama of littles?  To give you hope.  There is a future.  And it will come before you know it.  So hang in there.  Keep the faith.  Do not become weary, for you shall reap, if you faint not.




Meanwhile, I will trust that the same will hold true into the teen years!  Yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment