Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Lessons from the minivan

The most interesting conversations happen in my van on the way to Tae Kwon Do.  I don't know what it is.  Maybe it's the fact that they're gearing up to beat on people.  I dunno.


And it's not that long of a drive!  Maybe 10 minutes.  But it's amazing what they can pack into 10 minutes.

Today was no different.



The conversation started when I mentioned that I had learned about animal martial arts while at my conference during a session on how to include martial arts in your homeschool.  We talked about how we could incorporate learning Korean or diagramming their forms.

Then I pointed out that we could learn about anatomy and the different ways that you could hurt someone and the best ways to hit.

Sarah asked, "What if I got grabbed by a really big guy?"

I said, "All people have the same vulnerabilities.  What would they be?"

She and John started rattling off, "nose, eyes, knee caps", then Sarah said "groin."

Bethany asked, "What's the groin?"

From the second the word "groin" was said, John started laughing.  He knew what was coming.

I explained to Bethany, "The groin on a boy is his penis.  If you were to kick him there it would really hurt and you could run away."

She covered her ears and started singing, "I don't need to hear this!"

Meanwhile, the other two are laughing so hard their faces are turning red.

Ah, anatomy and vocabulary lessons in the van.  Never a dull moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment